The DOST has committed to achieve the following eight (8) outcomes:
- Science-based know-how and tools that enable the agriculture sector to raise productivity to world-class standards;
- Innovative, cost-effective and appropriate technologies that enable MSMEs to develop and produce competitive products that meet world-class standards;
- State-of-the-art facilities and capabilities that enable local industries to move up the value chain and attain global competitiveness;
- PH a global leader in Information Technology - Business Process Management Services generating direct employment of 1.3 M (520,000 of which in the countryside).
- ICT-based transformation of governance broadening access to government services (i.e. health and education) for those in the countryside (PH in the top 50 global ranking of e-government by 2016);
- Improved quality healthcare and quality of life thru science, technology and innovation;
- Highly skilled and globally competitive S&T human resources in support of the national S&T programs (PSHS to be the leading science high school in ASEAN by 2015 and every town to have at least one DOST scholar by 2016).
- Science-based weather information and climate change scenarios with associated impact assessments that enable concerned agencies to develop appropriate mitigation strategies for a disaster and climate change resilient Philippines.
These DOST outcomes shall guide all DOST agencies and offices in weaving one DOST story to communicate to the public and stakeholders the benefits from DOST programs, projects and activities.
As per DOST Administrative Order No. 002 Series of 1989, the DOST Regional Offices shall be the focal points for the planning and implementation of S&T programs and projects in the regions. Specifically, each regional office shall assume the following functions:
- Identify the needs and opportunities in S&T in the region;
Formulate a regional S&T plan consistent with and supportive of the regional and national development S&T plans;
Plan and implement programs and projects on R&D and the delivery of S&T services such as technology demonstration and transfer, testing and analysis, S&T promotion and information dissemination, and on other areas of concern of DOST for the benefit of the people in the region;
Monitor and coordinate programs and projects of DOST Councils, Institutes and support agencies in the region;
.Develop institutional linkages with Regional Offices, other agencies, and local government and private organizations or entities for the effective planning and implementation of S&T programs in the region; and
Perform such other functions as may be directed by higher authorities as provided by law.
Provide S&T interventions to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME’s) in the regions to improve their productivity and competitiveness in both local and international markets through the Small Enterprise Technology Upgrading Program (SET-UP), the banner program of DOST for technology transfer and commercialization.