“Internationally recognized Regional Standards and Testing Laboratories delivering responsive and specialized testing and calibration services including laboratory quality assurance system”
Through the Regional Standards and Testing Laboratory (DOST-I RSTL) is the leading government agency in providing analytical testing and calibration services in Northern Luzon.
The DOST-I RSTL provides valuable support to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in terms of product quality testing of local and export products through the use of state-of-the-art laboratory equipment and facilities and the adoption of quality management system. Likewise, it offers testing and calibration services to various sectors whether public, private, research or academic institutions, for the standardization of mass and volume.
The DOST-I RSTL is now ISO/IEC 17025:2005 certified, the highest badge of recognition for testing and calibration services. Being an ISO/IEC 17025:2005 certified laboratory means that the results of tests and analyses performed are internationally acceptable.
The RSTL has three (3) laboratories namely:
Analytical and Testing Services
The Regional Standards and Testing Laboratory is a service laboratory equipped to perform tests on food/feed stuff, water and wastewater. It has the capability to:
- determine the physical, chemical and microbiological properties and quality of food/feed stuff, water and wastewater or effluents;
- provide consultation services to customers;
- initiate inter-agency collaboration.
The test procedures being used are in accordance with the international standard methods. The RSTL is technically managed by a licensed chemist, a microbiologist and supported by three (3) competent analysts. It is a non-profit government service laboratory.
- Food/water quality and safety testing
- Product registration
- Consumer protection
- Assist government agencies in their regulatory functions
- Provide services to researchers in the region in their R & D studies
Chemistry Laboratory Services
The Chemical Testing Laboratory offers chemical analysis that includes routine and high-end testing of foods, feeds, for water and wastewater. The Chemistry Lab is validating specialized test methods for nutritional analyses.
Microbiology Laboratory Services
The Microbiological Testing Laboratory offers tests such as heterotrophic plate count, aerobic plate count (APC/SPC), Coliform count, E. coli count, Salmonella detection, Staphylococcus aureus detection, Mold and Yeast count to test the sustainability and quality of food products and potability of water for human consumption.
Procedures in Requesting for Analytical and Testing Services
- Secure job order forms from the laboratory personnel.
- Fill up the job order form and present it to the laboratory personnel for assessment of testing fees.
- Proceed to the cashier’s office (Room 205) for payment.
- Present receipt of payment to the laboratory personnel, get customer’s copy of the job order form .
- The Result of Analysis can be claimed on the date indicated in the job order form .
DOST-I, with its commitment to protect consumers from unfair trade practices, is equipped with standards for volume and mass calibration. It operates two Regional Calibration Centers located at the Provincial Science and Technology Centers (PSTCs) in Tamag, Vigan City, Ilocos Sur and at the Government Center, Sevilla, City of San Fernando, La Union. Moreover, the other two (2) PSTCs are also capable of undertaking mass calibration. These are located at Ilocos Norte S&T Center in Batac, Ilocos Norte and Pangasinan S&T Center in Lingayen, Pangasinan.
Procedures in Requesting for Calibration Services
- Request schedule by phone/letter request.
- Accomplish job request form from the security guard on duty.
- Pay to collecting officer.
- Calibration certificate can be claimed on the date in the Job Request Form
Calibration Bucket/Weighing Scale
- Secure Job Request Form from the guard on duty.
- Fill-up Job Request Form and present it to the technical staff for assessment.
- Laboratory technical staff issues client’s claim stub.
- Result of analysis can be claimed on the due date as indicated in the Job Request Form